7.02.2009

My name is Holden and I'm an alcoholic...

Might we find this in a novel? "Hi, my name is Holden and I'm an alcoholic."  Or, "No, no, what I mean is my name is Holden and I no longer belong to my creator, some guy who calls himself 'J. D. Salinger'. This phony thinks he can control me, but I escaped long ago. It's really too bad so many crumby people take themselves so seriously. What's with this guy, anyway? Hey, Mr. Yahoo, in case you hadn't noticed, I suffer from multiple personality disorder. But I take Prozac and I've been getting personal coaching. I'm also a born-again Christian. Maybe. Also in doubt is my sexual orientation. Or not. Didn't you ever read Cervantes, you Bozo? Don Quixote got his revenge on his impersonator within the pages of his creator's epic novel, not some stinking courtroom. So now I've got a stepfather, or maybe an uncle, a Swedish guy who calls himself J. D. California. Ha! That's pretty good. How many novels has the dumb judge in New York read? Deborah, what are you thinking? Copyright on a character? A style? Another madwoman. So depressing. Phoebe was looking forward to reading about the fake me, but now she's going to have to wait." But not really: the book has already been published in Britain. And if Salinger wanted revenge he sure blew it. Plus he must be pretty stupid. Ripped off? To be so honored! There's not a chance in the world "60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye" won't eventually be published in the US. And now it's just about guaranteed to be a  bestseller. Banned in the US. That's almost as good a "Banned in Boston"!